The Seattle Seahawks may be without second-round defensive lineman Malik McDowell in 2017 after he was involved in an offseason vehicular accident, according to a release from the team. He is not attending training camp.
McDowell, the Seahawks’ top pick in 2017, suffered a concussion and facial injuries in an ATV accident, sources told NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo and James Palmer.
Head coach Pete Carroll said McDowell could miss the season, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, but the rookie released his own statement Sunday afternoon clarifying that he expects to join his teammates soon.
“I appreciate the concern regarding my health. I just want to clear the air. I am doing well and expect to rejoin my teammates in Seattle in the next few days,” McDowell said is a statement, via Twitter. “My injury is not life or career threatening as some have speculated. I am grateful for the support I have received from the Seahawks organization, my doctors and my family. You will see me back on the field in the near future.”
The 21-year-old was not expected to start as a rookie, but likely would have been used in the Seahawks’ defensive line rotation if healthy. McDowell had been projected by many as a first-round pick, but slid to the third pick of the second round.
Though the timing of the incident was not specified, McDowell sent a tweet on July 17 that seemingly signified the accident could have occurred at that time.
Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.