Jason Pierre-Paul answered any and all questions about how effective he could be with a surgically-repaired right hand when he accumulated seven quarterback sacks in 12 games last season.
The pass-rusher mangled his hand in a fireworks incident on July 4, 2015, but rebounded from the injury and returned to form in 2016. He was rewarded with a reported four-year, $62-million contract extension with the New York Giants on Friday.
His long-term future may now be set in stone, but Pierre-Paul admitted he’s still adjusting to life after the infamous incident.
“I’ll be way better,” the veteran said to Michael Eisen of Giants.com.
“Last year, I was still making adjustments. But as time goes on, it’s part of me and I’m going to use it. Every day, I’m learning something new with it.”
Before the extension, the Giants used their franchise tag on Pierre-Paul in two of the last three years. The defender has spent all seven years of his career in New York and, despite the allure of free-agent dollars, couldn’t have envisioned playing anywhere else.
“This is where I wanted to be,” he said. “I couldn’t imagine me being anywhere else. I’m back for four years and I’m ready to get after it.”
Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.